Satellite
  • Day 14

    Chester

    July 17, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    After stocking up on breakfast supplies last night and Phil popping out to the local award winning butcher this morning we had a delicious breakfast before walking out the front door and heading into Chester proper.
    The skies are blue! That's exciting, its been a while.
    We are in a lovely old original two bed estate cottage just outside the City Wall.
    Today we are going to 'relax' compared to recent days, well that's the plan.
    Our walk took us into the city looking around at the old streets including the Chester Rows which are the streets that had a second row of shops on another street above ground level.
    We kept walking thru the city to the rear of the Cathedral when the Falconry resides. Our show had been cancelled for a private booking and the only other show was not for a few hours.
    In the meantime we decided we would walk the circuit of the City Wall which has a footpath on top of it.
    Half way around the wall runs along the river and we noticed that cruises were happening and people were hiring row boats and motor boats. On such a glorious day it seemed a must so we went down and hired a motor boat and putted up and down the river checking out the prime real estate and views.
    We dropped the motor boat back, bought an ice cream and climbed back up on the wall to finish our circuit arriving back at the Falconry with 15 mins to spare.
    One of the handlers was showing around a python so I decided to hold it too. I was surprised it was smooth, soft and warm and didn't try to strangle me.
    The birds of prey came next and showcased three birds over 50 mins. During the show I had a chance at catching one of the birds. He just glided in from one of the trees and landed on my gloved arm.
    After the show we went into the Cathedral, which is huge. The interior was incredible and that big you could probably get lost. Apart from it having so must history they also showcase many modern sculptures.
    After the Cathedral it was time for refreshments, dropping into a tavern that served 2 for 1 cocktails all day.
    Next was another restaurant/bar and then an old hotel where we enjoyed a relaxing chat with the manager, barman and retired golf pro.
    If we had stopped at each tavern between the city and our cottage we would be curled up somewhere between here and there very tired and emotional.
    That's Chester done for us!

    Phil - this was to be our relaxing day. We still walked miles. Wendy was brave holding the snake. We did our mini pub crawl, 3 establishments, to get home. There are pubs everywhere here, each usually with about 5 drinkers. Not sure how they all exist, but at least we helped them out today.
    Read more