Satellite
  • Day 16

    York

    July 19, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    York in a day!
    Out the door of our apartment to join the early queuers at York Minister, a place you can't but your tickets on line in advance.
    Turns out it was a good idea as it was possible to take photos without anyone in the way and Phil was able to book for the first Tower climb.
    No doubt about it, the Minster is huge and impressive, but I think I preferred Chester Cathedral.
    Phil enjoyed his climb up 275 narrow twisting steps and snapped the views whilst I had time for reflection and relaxation waiting for him in the Minster.
    Next from the Minster we only had to take a few steps across the street to join the free walking tour we had scheduled into our day.
    The guide who looks like a bikie with his black jacket, black jeans and very long hair with beard thrives on history and for three hours he was in his element. He downloaded all his knowledge onto us non stop and whilst comprehensive and interesting at the time I will not remember a thing. Still the walk he took us on to view various sites and to walk part of the city wall was good as we saw places we would not have come across ourselves in a visit of a few days. We also got to enjoy a very pleasant tea and cake break during the tour.
    This afternoon when the tour finished Phil and I parted ways as he wanted to visit the National Rail museum somewhere in York, so I took myself off wandering the streets and The Shambles area where I eventually stopped off at the outdoor area of a tavern backing onto The Shambles Market for a relaxed shandy.
    A very pleasant afternoon had by all, catching up at our apartment at the end of the day to go out on a dinner date - Thai tonight.

    Phil - The steps to the top of the Minster were a bit tricky. The winding staicase was only a few centimetres wider than my shoulder width. The steps only gave me half a foot space to use. But I made it, and was able to get a good view from the top.
    The train museum was massive and incredible. It's supposed to be the biggest in Europe. There were at least 25 full steam engines plus carriages. Even the train that Queen Victoria and the previous king travelled in were there. Good to give Wendy a break from my indulgences, and me, as she would have been very bored.
    Came home to a well needed drink and what is on the tv - Carry on Cabby, With Sid James. I could have also watched George and Mildred, and I cannot believe that Coronation Street is still on. If you have no idea about the previous sentences, then don't worry, and enjoy your youth.
    Big day tomorrow, and I also will get on the net to see how my under 14 basketball girls went without me.
    Read more