Satellite
  • Day 17

    Here, there and everywhere!

    July 20, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Today was a transit day but we still managed to fill it with a variety of stops.
    We loaded up the car and left York behind at the same time that the rain began.
    Not a very enjoyable drive for the next 1 1/2 hours with the rain but we arrived at Sherwood Forest in pursuit of Robin Hood armed with umbrellas and waterproof gear.
    Although no Robin in sight we did find the Major Oak which is suffering from old age and is supported by many upright poles and ropes.
    Next stop another 1 1/2 hours later, which sent us slightly off route was Rieker Factory Outlet (shoes). Bargain time, the shoes were at least between 1/2 and 1/5th of the price in Aus. I walked out with four pairs (one of which was for Phil) which now takes my shoe purchase total in the UK to seven pairs, including the pair for Phil. Packing to go home is going to be interesting. And, the rain had just faded away - at last.
    Just under another hour of driving and we find ourselves parked three car spaces from the enrty to Warwick Castle with dry skies. Premium parking!
    This complex is huge and quite interesting covering several acres. The setup, furnishings and stories in the great hall are extremely well done.
    You can also get some great views of the area and town from The Mound or the Castle Walls. You can see why families could spend a day here.
    We did the dungeon tour and it appears that all dungeon tours follow the same script, in some skits, word for word. I will never be seen at another one in my lifetime and Phil is now aware of this.
    We departed at closing time and only had a half hour drive to Stratford Upon Avon where we will spend the next two nights.
    Found a lovely old pub, the oldest pub in Stratford - The Garrick Inn, with a bar area smaller than my bedroom.
    I'm very pleased to say that I probably had the best Pimms here that I have had anywhere., sorry Sharon!
    And the dinner choice was Indian.

    Phil - No Robin Hood but at least I can say I've been here and can see how easy it would have been for Robin and his men to hide in the forest. Especially in their trendy green outfits.
    Just when you think you are castled out, you go to Warwick Castle. It's huge and well spread out. They have really good wax models in most of the rooms and there is an audio story told. I did over 500 steps up the towers, so I am keeping up the average.
    I had to get petrol today. The guy behind the counter spoke to me and I had no idea what he said. Three times I said pardon, and eventually he pointed to a loyalty card he was flogging. We are all speaking our brand of the english language.
    The waiters last night, and tonight don't understand my sense of humour. Wendy says I just should say yes and no, from now on.
    Read more