Satellite
  • Day 18

    Stratford Upon Avon

    July 21, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    An easier day, although cool and windy, which began with a two hour walking tour of town which we came across while wandering and which covered many of William Shakespeares homes and places of interest around town including the medieval and tudor architecture. Yet again you see areas of town that you probably wouldn't come across on your own.
    Following the walk we needed food so went wandering on our own and came across a tearoom with an amazing display of cakes in the front window. That made up our mind, in we went. I can't imagime how anyone could walk past this tearoom and not go in once you gape at the display. There would have been at least 15 cheesecakes, 15 cakes, pies, soup, sandwiches, baguettes, wraps, slices, scones and more......
    Phil had a great chicken baguette and hot chocolate that was like a sundae and I had a piece of huge apple pie and mulled wine.
    We rolled out of there very happy and headed to the river to walk some of the Avon Trail along the river, returning as the rain began and stopped off at an Inn for refreshments before heading home to make dinner plans.
    After our day out and about we both agree it is a lovely town.
    We returned to our room to find it had not been cleaned, upon enquiry finding it had been forgotten.... so I requested an immediate service. We ducked out to allow housekeeping to do her job while I spoke to Reception about a problem which was to be resolved which in due course included an offer of complimentary drinks while waiting for our room.
    I also found out that we were supposed to have Club Lounge access. Yay! Just another example of the disorganisation here. So off we went, free drinks for us and into the lounge for the 5-8pm complimenary service of hot and cold treats and bar, soft drinks and hot drinks.
    Whilst chilling in the lounge two ladies from Sydney came in that had been on our walking tour this morning so we had a fun chat and nibbled and sipped our way thru the evening. No longer any need to go out for dinner and fate is a wonderful thing because it is pouring down by this stage at 8.30pm.

    Phil - I love this town. So neat and tidy, old style buildings that have been kept well.
    I didn't know much about old William Shakespeare till now, and find that he was responsible for most of the english language being documented. Pretty cool dude.
    Funny how fate took over the evening. Problems in the hotel saw us getting into the Club Lounge with free grog and food. Got to love that!
    Read more