Satellite
  • Day 39

    Farewell to Guernsey

    September 28, 2017 in Guernsey ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today was not only our last day in Guernsey, but the final cycling day of our entire trip. For some unknown reason Maggie thought that it would be worthwhile using the time to ride to a most unusual chapel she had read about somewhere. It was apparently the work of a local eccentric monk who had spent his lifetime constructing the chapel and then completely covering it in bits of broken glass and china. That seemed like a most creative way to waste a life to me, however somehow Maggie convinced us all to go in search of it.

    If we thought that there was no traffic on Guernsey, we would have been sorely mistaken. During the ride we must have encountered every vehicle on the island at least two or three times. It was not a very relaxing ride, and it also contained a never ending sequence of hills. When we eventually discovered the chapel, it turned out to be very underwhelming. The whole thing was not much bigger than a toilet.

    Although the rest of us were left scratching our heads as to why we had undertaken such a monumental waste of time and energy, Maggie actually said she liked the place. There is no accounting for poor taste.
    Read more