Satellite
  • Day 1

    The Final Few Days Before Departure

    April 28, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    For centuries the jungle slowly engulfed the Inca town of Machu Picchu. This city had been abandoned by the Incas over 500 years earlier, during the time of the Spanish invasion of South America. It's location was unknown outside the local area until the American archeologist and adventurer Hiram Bingam was led to it in 1911. He then set about removing the vegetation as quickly as possible, doing much damage to the ruins in the process.

    I remember first reading about the "fabled lost city of the Incas" when I was still in primary school. The story seemed like a fairy tale to me. I never dreamed that over 55 years later I would have the chance to walk in the footsteps of the Incas and explore the city for myself. But I have now learned that life can take you to some incredible places if you only have the courage to take the first step.

    In a few days I will leaving for South America. Over a period of five weeks we will be trekking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, cycling the high Andes in Peru, sailing Lake Titicaca, watching the giant condors in Colca Canyon, exploring the amazing Iguassu Falls, enjoying a tango in Buenos Aires, sailing the Rio de la Plata, spending a night in the oldest European city in South America, riding in one of the world's highest trains and much, much more. I want to share some of these adventures with you along the way.
    Read more