Satellite
  • Day 18

    Chartres to Illiers Combray

    September 7, 2017 in France ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    This morning we returned to the Cathedral to explore inside and see the massive stained glass windows. It was then time to get back on the bikes to continue our journey.

    The ride took us along a lovely succession of peaceful country roads. This really was the type of riding that we had been looking forward to, although anyone who had expected a "flat" ride would have another think coming. The road seemed to be always either rising or falling (mostly the former), which meant that it was by no means an easy day in the saddle.

    We arrived at Illiers Combray in the middle of the afternoon and went in search of our hotel - the Hotel Les Aubepines.

    The tiny town is best known for being the home of the French poet Marcel Proust. It has not changed much and has preserved the charm of past times.

    The Church of St. Jacques is the model for the church featured so prominently in the first part of Marcel Proust’s literary masterpiece, À La Recherche du Temps Perdu (Remembrance of Things Past). The church dates back to the 13th century and was rebuilt in 1497, with the aid of Florent d’Illiers, who fought alongside Joan of Arc.
    Read more