Satellite
  • Day 42

    Coffee by the Inlet

    April 12, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    While most people agree that everyone needs to play their part in reducing the spread of the virus, some of the restrictions do seem confusing and counter productive. According to some of the interpretations I have seen, it is illegal for a husband and wife to have a picnic in their car as that would represent "unnecessary travel". While I can see that it is important to cut down the amount of travel for trivial purposes, I see that a quiet coffee in the sanctity of their own vehicle constitutes absolutely no danger to the couple in question, or to anyone else. It may also be an essential for maintaining mental health.

    Whether it was illegal or not, this morning we decided that we needed to get out for a short time. We filled the thermos, packed a couple of biscuits and drove the short distance to the waterfront. It felt great to be able to watch the water in the inlet while we enjoyed our coffees. Fortunately no law officers tapped on the window while we were there.

    Later in the day we enjoyed some more video chats with other Ghostriders. We are learning to embrace this technology, as are our friends. It is becoming very clear that it was a wise move to get the NBN connected as we would have exhausted the data allowance that was included in our mobile phone plans.

    It has been interesting to see how everyone else has adapted to their many housebound hours. Gardening and home maintenance seem to be the two most popular pastimes. I have already said that I have taken up a new hobby that I have been finding quite interesting. Tomorrow I might even reveal what that hobby is.

    I just glanced up at the clock and saw that the time is almost 8pm. No wonder I am starting to feel like bedtime.
    Read more