Satellite
  • Day 117

    Small Steps

    June 26, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Sometimes you do not appreciate how much you enjoy doing something until you can no longer do it. Since the onset of my back problem, just over two weeks ago, I have not been able to even consider getting back on my bike. In many ways that is the cruelest impact that the injury has had.

    I have already had to cancel two small group rides that I had been greatly looking forward to taking part in. Every time I look out the window and see a beautiful blue sky beckoning to me, I think how much I would have enjoyed getting out on the bike. It might be a simple pleasure, but I have learned afresh just how much it means to me. Over the past eighteen years cycling has become a major theme in my life, and one that I am not ready to let go of without a struggle.

    The good news is that, since my first visit to the osteopath two days ago, I feel that I have started to regain some more mobility in my back. It might be a case of two steps forward and one step backwards, but for the first time I have started to feel empowered enough to risk getting back on two wheels. So that's what I did !

    This morning I donned my helmet and gloves and got back on the bike. I had no idea of how comfortable or painful it might have been, but I knew that there was only one way to find out. To my intense relief it was not as bad as I feared. Nowhere near as bad in fact.

    My first intention had been to just ride around the block to see if I could achieve it without falling off. When I managed to reach that milestone, I did not want to get off. I decided to go a little further.

    Five and a half kilometres later, I rode back into my driveway. You have no idea of how good it felt. I had experienced no stabbing lower back pain and no pain rotating the legs either. It was a great start, but I did not want to push things too far. If I experience no unpleasant after effects, I will try a longer ride next time. After all the bad news in the media over the last few days, it was just the thing I needed to lighten my mood.
    Read more