Satellite
  • Day 255

    A Covid Remembrance Day

    November 11, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    One hundred and two years ago today, World War I officially came to an end with the signing of the Armistice ceasefire agreement in France. Over the preceding 4 years, over 20 million people had lost their lives in what many still believe was a pointless war. On that day, the battlefields of Europe finally fell silent and the world was able to take some time to count the incredible cost.

    Since that historic day in 1918, we have set aside the 11th of November as a time to honour those that made the ultimate sacrifice. In Australia, the day is known as Remembrance Day. All over the nation, people gather in towns large and small to hold remembrance services. This year, remembrance day services were destined to become yet another casualty of the ever-growing list of canceled events.

    Even though the traditional services were not possible, over the past few days there has been a steadily growing feeling of optimism in our population. This is especially evident in Melbourne where we are finally daring to believe that we just might have beaten the Covid menace.

    Today marked the 12th consecutive day with no new known infections and no deaths in our state. There is absolutely no doubt that there is a widespread feeling of relief spreading through the people. This has also been reflected in a significant rise in the stock market over the past few days. Since most people's superannuation savings are closely connected to stock market movements, this gives another reason to smile a little.

    This morning we had yet another reason for celebration. An announcement came through that one of the major candidates for a Covid 19 vaccine has shown better than expected results in the latest large scale tests. The experts had been hoping for a success rate between 60-70%, but the initial results exceeded this benchmark, with a success rate of over 90%. We are now being told that widespread vaccinations could begin early in 2021.

    Although many businesses are still battling to stay afloat, there are others that are actually doing very well indeed. Now that the "ring of steel" no longer separates Melbourne from the Victorian country, there is hope that we will see a huge flow of money from city dwellers to the rural cities. All over the state, signs have been erected outside country towns, welcoming back people from Melbourne.

    Although the battle is far from over, there is no doubt that we are rapidly becoming the envy of the world. The latest news from the USA showed that the daily new infections are now in excess of 200,000. In most states of America, the virus is spreading without any real attempt at control. While this is going on , we witness the ludicrous spectacle of the defeated ex-President Trump, bunkering himself in the White House and refusing to acknowledge that he has been thrown out. It is a truly sad spectacle of a man in complete mental decline. Where will this lead in the weeks ahead? Who knows?
    Read more