Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - Osaka (via Arashiyama, Kyoto)

    April 7, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We left our ryokan in gora at 7:30 in misty rain and headed back down the scenic railway to motohakone and onto Odawara. We were on the 10am shinkasen to kyoto. Arriving at 12 we stashed our bags in a locker (had a freak out as hubby didn't remember where he put the passports - found them where they were in the baby carrier pocket) We then headed to the 10th floor for a lunch in the ramen restaurants. So much to choose from, and it was great.

    We then jumped on a train to Arashiyama where the misty rain contined a bit. Our destination was the bamboo forest and we joined the crowds of people heading through it (a taxi even made its way through the sea of people - hate to have seen the meter). We found the forest walk off the main path and enjoyed this much less crowded time in the forest. It was practically empty.

    Next we headed to the bridge. The main street of town was exceptionally pretty and sakura were out in bloom everywhere. We walked both sides of the bridge, returned through town and headed back to the train station.

    On the train back had our major stress of the day. I received an email from our last accommodation that they forgot to write the unit number of the apartment on the taqbin form, I needed to advise them of this or our luggage would be returned to them. Oh and the 3yr old said he needed to pee whilst we were jam packed on the train a stop before Kyoto. So we raced off the train to a loo and he didn't need to go!!! Back to our first stress we went to tourist info - no help, we then went to the building info and a lovely lady called our last accommodation and they confirmed they had contacted taqbin with the apartment number. Relief!!! Off to Osaka.

    At 6pm we arrived at Namba jr station and wow what a maze of underground networks, supermarkets and shops. A helpful young man saw us looking how to get from A1 to 26D exit and pointed us in the right direction. We made it to our air bnb apartment in near Dotonbori. Our bags also showed up right when they were supposed to!!
    Read more