Satellite
  • Day 7

    Princess castles at Fussen...

    April 7, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Some great views of the mountains as we drive across to Füssen, both kids excited by the sight of snow, and we find another great spot to pitch up.

    So the big attraction here is Germany’s most famous castle..the stuff fairytales are made of, Neuschwanstein, Walt Disney’s inspiration for his iconic castle. But of course, no stopover would be complete without finding a new skate park first. And this one is possibly the best we’ve seen, Nic is green with envy at not having his board/bike/scooter with us but Amelia makes the most of it for all of us!!

    Backpack on and it’s a 45min walk up to the castle, and this is really incredible, to think how they built this, and are still working on it, on the side of a mountain - apparently it was built for art not architecture, and it doesn’t disappoint.

    Amazing views; you can see why Mad King Ludwig II wanted his castle in this spot. Great views over to Hoeschwangu Castle, the lakes surrounding Füssen, gorges and waterfalls and a pretty hairy bridge...well worth it for the view of the castle but we both made sharp exits off the bridge with those wobbly planks, Amelia and Coen oblivious to the fear of it collapsing any minute!!

    Time to hit the road again, and for the 1st time, weather scuppers our plans. We arrive in Garmisch Partenkirschen in a haze of cloud, and drive around aimlessly wondering what we are looking for, and then remember it was the luge.

    Big sad faces though...the rain means it’s closed, and with our other plan of taking a lift up the mountain totally out the window due to low cloud, we check the forecast and make the call to move on. We’re gutted to miss this, especially after seeing the info board for the luge, it looks so much fun..maybe we’ll make it back there one day.

    We did manage to make Coen’s day though when the man driving the digger at the luge took him for a spin...
    Read more