Satellite
  • Day 71

    Cote D'Azur - Antibes

    June 10, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    On to Nice, which seemed Nice but there wasn’t any campsites really close by so we drove on through stopping just before the town of Antibes.

    The campsite is cool with a giraffe bouncy castle, little park, table tennis, petanque and a pool so the children are immediately happy.

    We decide to head to the beach the next day, just across the road, however you have to cross a train track, Nic has a run in the morning to check it out but it is a bit pebbly too so we hop on the bikes and Croozer and head to a lovely sandy beach. Haven't quite checked the route, and thinking we were going the most direct route, we end up ata dual carriageway, think we'll just skirt underneath it but a few wrong turns, steep hills and check the map - we finally make it to the beach, pretty sweaty. Realise we should have come straight through the town. It is a beautiful beach though, perfect white sand and bright turqouise sea, with more amazing yachts off the coast, one huge, the biggest we’ve ever seen.

    We have a great time on the beach and sea, the children love testing out their new ‘bodyboards’ and the sea is perfect for them (although Coen does find the little ledge where it goes a bit deeper and needs a quick rescue!). We spend the day in the sun and sea, a lovely unwind. The cycle home this time through beautiful Antibes, a mixture of posh casinos, high end designer boutiques and the old city - churches, city walls, harbour walls and many tiny, sandy coves dotting the little peninsula, before it opens to a grand harbour full of more expensive yachts; the coastal route is much more scenic than the journey in, and soon the long stretch of pebbly beach leads us back to our campsite. We are definitely glad we made the effort to get to the beautiful beach!

    A quick swim in the lovely covered pool the morning, Amelia is really building confidence now to swim further on her own, and they are both loving their new inflatable boards (Decathlon, of course!) and onwards we go...
    Read more