Satellite
  • Day 14

    Hot in the city of Love

    August 30, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Breakfast is fruit, salami and croissants.

    It's 33 degrees today.

    We catch a taxi into the city centre. These taxi drivers in Italy are born rally drivers. I feel like I am back in the Indiana Jones and the peril of doom!!

    We walk the tourist tracks, thru the squares, past stunning medieval architecture. It's everywhere that you look.

    Massive tombs, beautiful brickwork. We walk past the Verona Duomo, I cannot enter as I have my shoulders uncovered. Athena has a yawn but says she is not tired.

    We walk across the pretty red bridge with water running heavily below.

    I want to walk up to the castle. Athena is not interested in walking up the hill so hangs below.

    Up steep steps I go, between buildings out of a medieval fairytale.

    The view from up the top is tremendous. Red terracotta roof tiles. Warm Amber and browns. Red and Pink bricks. The green river running around the historical ancient town.

    Verona is so interesting. Courtyards with olive trees, iron criss cross bars on the windows.

    Cobblestones roads aligned with marble footpaths. Very easy to walk around with many signs.

    We end up back at Juliet's balcony and I nick in to take another look, as this is the reason we are here.

    I try to find the bar we got drunk at last night. I see the river at the end of the road and know it is up the end here.

    We sit under the shade of a massive umbrella. No breeze and it is muggy hot. 2bourban and cokes please. Ahh life is good with a drink in your hand.

    Sometimes, when each of us go get a round, the other will say surprise me.
    Athena orders Singapore Slings in memory of our last Europe trip together. They are sensational. Athena is hungry and grabs a wrap with olive tapenade, salami, melted bococini and grilled capsicum and eggplant. Soooo good.


    It is 5.30pm and Athena believes she has heatstroke. So we head back to the hotel for an early night.

    She asleep in 20mins, me up until midnight, reading, blogging, watching a cooking show. I had a coca cola before bed, so serves me right.
    Read more