Satellite
  • Day 16

    Remember that little pizza place?

    September 1, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Athena arrives back to our room at midday. We decide to head out to find our little pizza place that we sat at for 2 hours on our trip 4 years ago-

    (our tour guide, Steve, told us all to go and get lost in Venice. Didn't have to tell me twice, I was so happy to be set free. Athena and I wandered over the Rialto bridge, through skinny alleys and side way streets until we found a clearing with a little restaurant, we sat and had the best time)

    Well I have a great sense of direction so off we went through the maze.

    It was the same, the tight skinny streets all cool and shaded. We try to keep away from the crowds, so I do a left here and there.

    We come across dead ends with a canal at the end. I can hear tv on above my head, and people arguing.

    The sounds of living rooms pour out to us. Clothes hang on lines above our heads and the walls look so dilapidated.

    This is what I enjoy. The real life. The feeling like you are sneeking into people's backyards.
    Which way to turn? It doesn't matter. We don't know where we are.

    We come across a couple of restaurants but the square is too skinny. It is not familiar.

    'Keep going Sandra", I tell myself.
    I see at the end of one street the sun hitting a wall ahead and know there is a square there. We walk out and my seeking is over.
    I FOUND IT!!

    We are very pleased with ourselves.
    Athena orders a bruchetta and I a coke. (still not able to stomach anything)

    Isn't it funny, I have always thought that I would come back here and try to find this place, as what an adventure it would be!

    We head back, this time we follow the arrows to RIALTO and ST Marco amongst the shops and tourists.

    We get to the Rialto Bridge and it is packed with people. The annual regatta is on. People with oars stand together and row fast as they can in boats wider than a gondola.

    We look through some shops and they are full of the famous Murano coloured glass ornaments.

    I am in search of a pencil and paper.
    Jules wants Athena and I to do a drawing of our surroundings. Will give it a try.

    Something pulls me to look in the windows for a little glass black cat.
    After many yucky ones, I find one I like. I carry it close to my heart as we walk between the tourists and it makes me feel a little lighter.

    I spy a lolly shop that makes me stop in my tracks. In I go, paper bag at the ready. Everything looks devine and so different.

    Lollies make you feel good! But not too many.

    We get to our hotel about 6.30pm and go sit on our precious little quiet balcony. I ask Athena if she wants to go out to eat, she says she's full from the bruschetta. Me, I am starving.

    I pop out alone to buy some prosecco and a panini. But cannot find either.

    I walk into a little restaurant, down the lane way next to our hotel, and ask do you do takeaway. They say yes. May I please have a lasagne? Absolutely.

    I wait, families come in and are shown to their tables. I read the fish and crustacean posters on the wall.

    The maitre d sidles up to me and asks 'do you want food or me?' in a jovial manner.
    I laugh and point to the kitchen and say food.

    Boldly I nudge him with my shoulder and say you're funny. We smile broadly together. I like a bit of mischief in a person.

    My food is ready. The chef begins to put the parmesan on top and halts, looking at me. I instantly nod, smile and say a big yes please.
    He then asks me if I am single. I say yes and from Melbourne. He jots down his number on the top of my container and says in broken English, I am from Lido, there is a festival there. Come with me tonight once I finish!

    Oh dear, I thought. I smiled and said thank you, went back and inhaled my lasagne.

    Off to bed and the TV signal goes. I call reception and the guy comes up and plays around with the remote and stuffs it up even more.

    During this time we hear a blood curdling scream outside of a woman or child and someone yelling help. The guy says sorry bout the TV and Athena and he go to investigate whilst I lay in bed. They find nothing. Weird.

    Once the guy leaves, I pull the plug out and back in and wholla it's back.

    I search for English speaking channels and find a movie with Matthew
    Mcconaughey. Slowly my eyes get heavy.
    Read more