Satellite
  • Day 19

    The Gods of Greece

    September 4, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Thanassi, Athena's cousin picks us up at 9.00.
    Gorgeous man. Overjoyed to see Athena.

    He drops us at the bottom of the path to the Acropolis and has already bought us our tickets to the Acropolis and museum. He gives us museum books and sends us on our way.
    He will meet us at 10.30 at the museum Cafe.

    We walk up through the olive trees on the marble stone path. It is extremely slippery.

    The walk up is steep and you need to watch your step. You either walk on small rocks or smooth marble.

    The Parthenon is huge and majestic. Sand coloured with columns contrasting against the blue sky.

    Cannot take a bad photo of the Acropolis.

    We walk around slowly. I see the Temple of Nike standing smaller by itself and the amphitheatre of Odean Horodes Atticus is below.

    The temple I like is the Old temple of Athena. The one with the 4 ladies.

    The temple was destroyed in a battle.
    Greeks continue restoration.
    The museum is used to hold all precious relics.

    We head back down to the museum and find Thanassi sitting in the Cafe with a Greek coffee.

    He is very affectionate and loving and I am endeared to him immediately.

    Thanassi plays guide to us around the museum.
    ...
    We first sit to watch a short film-

    The Greeks built all temples for their gods. With 'The goddess Athena being the main one'.

    It took 50 years to build the Acropolis. Finished about 552 bc.

    The Greeks concentrated on location and proportions.
    Using doric and ionic collumns

    The goddess Athena statue was built in the middle of the Parthenon. But was destroyed later in a battle with the perusians.

    The Parthenon is built in white pentalic marble.

    In strict formality, with unique carvings all over. Friezes of battles, like the battle of troy.

    Such fine work in marble blocks.
    The centaurs are displayed and Thanassi and I look at each other as we are both saggies.
    The goddess Athena was born from the head of Zeus.
    ....
    We are then lead around the sculptures by Thanassi.

    I love the frieze of 'Poseidon, Apollo and Aphrodite' sitting together in marble.

    The 'Crown of the Acropolis' is a huge flower, which looks similar to French art nouveau.

    There is a long frieze here of riders on horse back in battle.
    My sister, Julie, an artist, creates beautiful horse sculptures herself. I compare the works and can see that Julie has the conformation and movement exactly the same as these thousand year old relics. So proves even more that she is doing an amazing job.
    I take photos for her to see.

    16,000 people visit the Acropolis per day in August

    Beautiful museum, only 10 years old.
    The Greeks are arguing with the English and French to give back their artworks. The English said you have no where to display. So the Greeks finally built a world class museum. And they wait still.

    Thanassi drops us off at our hotel and will collect us later for dinner.

    We head out for a walk around The Plaka.
    The most beautiful shops are here.
    Danger zone for Athena.

    Must walk around here when you come to Athens.

    We sit for lunch. Theens has souvlaki, I have a delicious veal, mushroom and potato dish. It is devine. I feed some to Athena as it is so good.
    She agrees.
    Read more