Satellite
  • Day 13

    Hoi An to Hanoi

    July 3, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Sunday 2nd July

    Due to change in the flight time, earlier than scheduled, we had to get out of the hotel by 5.45am. We had booked a van which was early and the hotel had very thoughtfully packed some breakfast for us - a container with a boiled egg and a sausage wrapped in bacon and in the other container yoghurt, roll & banana. Very much appreciated as we sped towards Da Nang airport, a 45 min trip. Not too much traffic but still plenty for 6am sunday morning. People getting their shops and produce ready for sale, foods stalls cooking their food and marquee's going up for weddings. Easy trip to the airport and then the the noise began with lots of people flying off to different parts and all intent on yelling at each other across the airport. Added to the chaos was the airport loudspeaker constantly announcing something or another. Anyway close to scheduled time we were loaded onto a bus and travelled about 1/2km to the end of the airport where all the budget planes are parked, our Jetstar flightbeing 1 of those.
    A short 1 hour flight (Justin's magic had us in emergency row seats) and we were pretty soon collecting our bags at Hanoi airport. A few minutes wait & our van turns up to wisk us away into Hanoi. Mostly freeway but road rules are completely optional & totally ignored. About 45 mins of road mayhem and we were deposited at our hotel, the Hanoi Blue Hotel, located in a tiny street in the Old quarter, an area with narrow streets full of shops, stalls, housing and seemingly millions of scooters & motorbikes. Again road rules are absent with bikes riding the wrong way, on the footpath and up the opposite sides of the street. Chaotic but it all seems to flow, no-one gets too angry and the horns get a good work out.
    A warm welcome by the hotel, we check in and then go for a walk around, finding a cafe for lunch just near the lake. After lunch we stroll around the lake, on Sundays they close the surrounding streets off to cars & people can just stroll about, very pleasant.
    The lake is called the Hoam Kiem Lake which means the Lake of the Reclaimed Sword. Legend has it that 1 emperor many centuries ago was fighting the Chinese (common occurrence for Vietnam) and the great Turtle in the lake gave the emperor a sword, which he used to defeat the enemy. After the victory, the turtle took the sword back. The lake was home to turtles but none have been found for a year or more.
    After a relax & freshen up we hit the road again looking for a dinner spot and ended up at the Marvel Hotel where we were provided a most sumptous meal with outstanding service, for not many $.
    Sue & Peter took another walk back to the lake to see it all lit up and enjoyed seeing families everywhere, taking in the nice summer evening. Sunday evening is a peak time for families here in Hanoi as well.

    Weather was hot in Hoi An but cooler (32C) in Hanoi but still very humid and very hazy.

    Highlights
    * Calla Villa Hotel providing us with a travelling breakfast;
    * Hotel Blue Hanoi
    * Hanoi Old Quarter;
    * Dinner at the Marvel Hotel.
    Read more