Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Getting into the Greek culture

    September 27, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We keep on saying that although travelling it's an awesome thing to do and to experience, it's also an energy consuming activity. To get the most of a place and of a culture you need to pause, to stop for a while: you need time to soak everything in and to give yourself the time to process what you are living.

    Jona likes mountains, to get lost in the middle of nowhere and to feel nature at its fullest. Whereas I prefer beaches and the chill and easy atmosphere that you can feel when you are close to the sea. It was time for a compromise, for a break in a place where we both could feel alive and happy. Camping Sylvia in Plaka was the place: quiet, with a private and isolated beach situated on the foot of Mt. Olympus.

    We spent 4 days together at the camping and it's surroundings and 2 days apart. It was the first time in almost two months that we took separate ways to get some me-time.

    That camping was the perfect place to chill during the day or to discover some villages nearby, and to have fun with the Greek owners at night. Every night they practiced their traditional dance (Sirtaki) for a wedding and they invited us to join them and to share their food accompanied with some laughs.

    We also had the chance to meet Kostas. He offered himself to take us home when he saw us from a bar trying to hitchhike with no success. He invited us to visit the following day his wooden house where he prepares his own olive oil. He invited also his best friends, they played some live music while doing a BBQ, some Greek salad, nice bread, olives and cheese and a fantastic olive oil. To me that felt like being in heaven :P

    The rest of the time I visited a beautiful village nearby, I enjoyed swimming in the ocean and doing some yoga.

    Greece was out of our budget, a pit-stop, but we really enjoyed getting a taste of this country and its wonderful, crazy and warm-hearted people. One day this country will be our travel destination. See you soon! Next stop: Turkey!
    Read more