Satellite
  • Day 52

    Thessaloniki and its Mediterranean flair

    September 21, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We made it to Greece and it felt like summer in there! Yeeey!

    To get there we had to live a frustration moment and a happy moment. We arrived at the Greek border by train and we payed a taxi driver to bring us passed the border to get the next bus to Thessaloniki. Instead he left us between the Macedonian-Greek border and took the full price agreed although he drove the half of what we had agreed. Frustration.
    A funny Greek policeman was surprised to see 2 backpackers crossing the border on foot and he recommended us a place where we could hitchhike. After 10minutes we were driving with Natalja and Borce from Macedonia 180km/h in a BMW to Thessaloniki. Borce felt comfortable recording some Insta stories and taking selfies while zigzaging other cars but you can imagine our scared faces :O

    After spending the weekend in Thessaloniki we were very surprised how beautiful this city is and how cool the lifestyle in there is: it's full of nice cafés to chill and cozy restaurants.
    Picture Barcelona and remove 90% of its tourists and you will have a good image of how Thessaloniki looks like: modern/traditional buildings, warm and lively streets.

    The only thing that we didn't like was that to go into 95% of the pubs/clubs you are asked if you have a reservation; if you don't you aren't allowed to get in. In other cases, they look at you, they see the way you are dressed up and then they tell you straight away that it's full. Stupid. Superficial.

    Thanks to our stop we got to meet Charlie from Colorado and we had a wonderful night together. The following day we remembered how a hangover feels like...

    Thessaloniki, highly recommended! ;)
    Read more