Satellite
  • Day 122

    First solo trip to Sri Lanka

    November 30, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    First solo trip. Exciting. Scary. I packed all my courage and my excitement to go surfing and I left Turkey behind to discover this tropical island: Sri Lanka.

    Colombo was my first stop. I spent my days roaming around the city and the nights at Rasika's place, one friend from Jona from 3 years ago when he visited the country. We went out for dinner with a good friend from him, Dhanangeva, we had such a special connection. I could even call him "spiritual friend".

    The first insights of travelling alone didn't happen as expected. I felt observed all the time while walking down the street as a young white woman. Men would approach me and ask me too many personal questions that started blocking my friendliness to turn it into mistrust. Some people followed me, others wanted to pay things for me and that felt very uncomfortable.

    I continued my trip to Weligama to surf, main purpose of this trip. I spent a bit more than two weeks surrounded by very good people surfing, sharing wonderful evenings and delicious roti. The atmosphere with local people was amazing and I mostly spent my free time with Yehoram and Lior, two Israelis and with the Sarahs from Australia, that made my stay unforgettable ♡

    After laying at the beach like a lizard and surfing at the Sri Lankan coast for a while, it was time to discover the wilderness of the hilly part. Haputale, Ella and Mihintale followed with Leana, an Argentinian girl with whom I spent the last days in the country. It felt good to speak some Spanish and to share my adventures with a woman.

    Travelling on my own has been indeed an adventure but foremost a trip of self discovery. It's been a journey where I did things that scared me but I am glad I did them anyway. I had moments when I felt vulnerable and angry, and other moments left my heart full and I felt very grateful for being able to feel, to live, to be free. To be able to separate ways from my partner for a while and meet again with plenty of stories to tell each other.

    I wonder if travelling alone will feel the same next time. Maybe I just have to give it another try... :)
    Read more