Satellite
  • Day 220

    Kathmandu city

    March 7, 2020 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    I had a fantastic time in the capital of Nepal. It was a long time ago I enjoyed a hostel stay that much like in Yog-Hostel with its fully equipped kitchen, its rooftop terraces overviewing the more than one million people city and further the many nice people I met here. Normally the air pollution does only allow little views, because of the smog. But everything changes if you are on a holiday or in days of Covid-19 in the capital. The most special day was definitely on Holi - the Festival of colours. Even the government recommended to stay back home because of the upcoming virus, many locals celebrated together next to the Durbar Square. Holi means: Colour powder, free hugs, people screaming “happy Holi” and music bands everywhere. It's a fun day.
    The rest of the days I prepared myself for the upcoming treks by buying loads of outdoor gear in the uncountable shops of Thamel. Normally I don't like shopping, but talking and bargain with a shop owner that climbed Mount Everest and other 8000m+ high mountains several times amused us a lot. Not to be forgotten the beautiful cultural sights of the old town, including Pashupati Mandir, the holiest site of the Shiva followers.
    Read more