Satellite
  • Day 7

    It's Day 7!

    May 15, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    (8) What did you learn on the field experiences that helped you understand Philadelphia better?
    While on the field experiences, I learned the efforts taken to make Philadelphia a better place. One of my favorite field experiences was the mural tour with Al, where we saw the freelance artwork that occurred simply to unify the city. I liked the one about homelessness with the black and white photographs, as I believe it had a strong message.
    At the Philadelphia Art Museum, I saw the Rocky steps, and began to learn how they serve as a place of strength for the city. Even watching the three members from our team travel up the steps, though humorous, hinted at the inspiration lying within the run. Those steps are a symbol of accomplishment after hard work, and I believe we encountered that in all of our service work.
    Ben Franklin’s museum showed me how innovative Ben Franklin was, and seeing the post office and library he founded was a testament to how strong of a leader he was, particularly in the city of Philadelphia. My favorite quote of his was “What good have I done today?”, mentioned in this footprint. His museum as well as Christ Church and his burial grounds spoke to his influence on the city; if he were not an incredible leader, they wouldn’t need to have things commemorating him.
    Philadelphia is a city rich in history and in the strength of its leaders. The symbols around the city, from the Rocky steps and statue to the murals and Ben Franklin’s monuments, showed how influential a leader can be, how much he or she can unite a group of people. Philadelphians are rooted in their strength and history, and the same values that Ben Franklin exemplified are still being carried out today, in people like Emma, Wes, and Major Susan.

    Day 7 has started with a trip to the bookstore! Three books later, we are at the Ben Franklin Museum and are learning a lot about this influential man. Ben Franklin can teach servant leaders so much; everything he did was for the benefit of others.

    "What good have I done today?" - Ben Franklin:
    A quote to be used by all servant leaders. Better yourself, better others, better the world. Thanks Benny.
    Read more