Satellite
  • Day 176

    Surfing the world famous Uluwatu

    March 23, 2020 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Got up for the start of breakfast at 8am. I was starting to feel better from stomach pains now, so felt up for a bit of a surf.
    Walked down to Uluwatu beach. (World famous beach which breaks onto a shallow reef producing hollow barrels).
    All places where you could rent a board were closed! Can you believe it, almost empty world class surf and I couldn't get in. Uggh.
    Walked back through town to try to find somewhere. No good. All closed. A bit frustrated we went back to call up the airlines to ensure the flights were still going.
    At about 3 we set out again to see if any surf rental places had opened.
    Only 1 had, and was taking full advantage of it with her prices. Rented one for 2 hours and jogged down to the beach.
    Within a few mins of me walking over the reef and paddling out i heard a load of whistles blowing on the shore, with people waving to come back in.
    Initially no one moved. But then a few of the locals went in and the rest started following. I managed to catch one average wave before paddling back in.
    Not quite the surf ending I was looking for.
    Got back and the beach was closed. It sounded like this was going to be a permanent ban on beach access for the next few weeks. Definitely time to head home. Good that we changed our flight to tomorrow. The evening was spent watching films and worrying about the news that Hong Kong (our transit location) was to close 15mins after our flight was due to leave. Definitely could not have left it any later.
    Read more