Satellite
  • Day 20

    Blyde River Canyon

    June 26, 2010 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today I was picked up from the Ritz Backpackers, nice and early for my ACACIA Tour - Joburg to Vic Falls.
    We started off at 5am. For the first 5 days of the 7, our group was to be just 5 of us. Myself, and two older couples (30s-40s)
    One Couple - Paul and Victoria, the other Terry and Mary.
    It was a really nice group, which made the trip that extra bit special.
    In addition, we had our tour leader, Vessel (a local white-Africaan from Polokwane) and his girlfriend/assistant, Georgie (an Aussie staying here for a couple years).
    The Highlight of the first day was definatley Blyde River Canyon, the third largest Gorge in the World, and the Largest Gorge that is Green (unlike the Grand Canyon).
    There were spectacular views all round.
    From there we travelled on to our first nights stop for the day nearby.
    This little lodge, was located off road, in a game park. We quickly went off for a dusk safari, but didnt see anything.. that is until the sun came down. We were lucky enough to see a Black Rhino with her cub, which was pretty special.
    It was a great start to the trip :)
    Read more