Satellite
  • Day 24

    Nata

    June 30, 2010 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today, I entered my second African country, Botswana.
    It was the most painful day of the tour for the most part, travelling about 1000kilometres for the day.
    Nearly the whole day was consumed by driving along dirt roads.
    We also added 4 young Aussie guys onto the tour, which made things alot louder. They were nice enough guys, but not really my type of company.
    Our destination for the day eclipsed the unpleasantness of the journey.
    Our accomodation was to be a place called Elephant Sands, in the Nata region, slightly north of central Botswana.
    The name of this location was self explanatory; it was sandy plains, loaded with elephants. Our campsite itself was in the absolute wilderness.
    The exhilarating part, was as the sun set, elephants came from all directions to drink from the pool by the bar. The accommodation, whilst awesome looking, was impractical and caused me to have a long night..
    They were little chalets, but the connecting shower was open, with no roof, no mosquito nets, and no privacy... I put on a grand show for an elderly couple in the adjacent cabin im sure, as you could see right into where i showered.
    The evening was awesome. A great dinner, and wherever you walked, you could find elephants just meters away, within touching distance, drinking, breaking branches, or just hanging out!
    I lay down to sleep in awe of my surroundings. Outside my cabin, through the twig walls you could see the silhoutees of Elephants, not 5 metres away.
    From here things went downhill.. mosquitos invaded my hut... and with no mosquito net, or anywhere to hide, i was forced to vacate. Mosquitos flying into my ears, and likely brimming with Malaria, didnt sit well with me.
    I weaseled my way in through the back window of our bus, and slept there for the remaining 4 hours of the night... or at least tried to.
    Read more