Satellite
  • Day 25

    Victoria Falls

    July 1, 2010 in Zambia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today, we made the final part of our travels into Zambia, to the infamous Victoria Falls.
    This waterfall is the largest in the world, in terms of the amount of water that goes over the falls. It is also considered among the seven natural wonders of the world, and more than a mile long.

    The border crossing from Botswana to Zambia was amusing indeed. We boarded a barge to cross the Zambezi river. Suffice to say, the barge itself would have struggled to meet safety standards in Australia.. It was wood, with some broken safety barriers, a couple of motors, and thats about it.
    It took a while to get organised and through the border, but wasn't as bad as usual according to our tour leader

    It wasn't too far of a drive onwards to Victoria falls itself, where we had a couple hours to explore/ walk around the falls.
    Views from above were spectacular indeed. You couldnt see the whole thing, or down to the bottom, due to the extensive spray. Baboons also roamed the area, and were everpresent!
    We then hired some raincoats, and ventured down, closer to the falls themselves. You would get more than a bit wet, without these coats, getting close compared to an absolute downpour, due to the spray.
    It wasnt really possible to take photos from here, but it was just awe inspiring to get so close to such a massive waterfall. So much water, such power.
    Onwards we trekked to our accomdation - the Waterfront.
    Here we booked activities for the next day, and embarked on our evening activity - a sunset dinner/drinks cruise on the river Zambezi.
    This was nice, and i met lots of cool people on board.
    It was a huge nights of drinks, and i hardly slept a wink, before being picked up at 6am the next day for my first activity.
    Read more