Satellite
  • Day 18

    Cape Point

    August 12, 2012 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Breakfast at Sweet Lemon was delicious, with cold meats, cheeses, fresh bread and customised bacon and egg meals prepared for each guest. With our tour driver Shanli having being forced to leave us early for another tour, we received a replacement driver, Adrian. By 9am we were on the truck, bound for Cape Point.

    What a spectacular drive it was, a little overcast, but clear enough, arguably the most beautiful scenic coastal drive around. From Cape Town, we drove right down the coast line, via Hout Bay and Simons Town, all the way to Cape Point, the most south western tip of the African Continent. It was just as enjoyable for me the second time, and Natalie loved it.

    Arriving at Cape Point, we were all given free time to explore. Nat and I went hiking, to all the various lookout points, taking in the spectacular views from all angles. We walked all the way down to the lighthouse, right on the tip of the point. We then jumped on the truck to the Cape of Good Hope, to take a quick photo. The serenity here was somewhat spoiled by the swarms of tourists.

    Next up, was a stop off at a Penguin Colony near Simons Town. Here, for a small entry fee, we could view dozens of little African Penguins, running around, just doing their thing. Amusingly, as we departed, a tourist registered a complaint with staff of the reserve, as to why Emporer penguins weren't available for viewing, despite their picture appearing on the wall on a list of all the worlds penguins. Some people are really, really stupid.

    Our final group dinner was to be at a Pub/Grill on the Cape Town Waterfront called Krugmann's Grill. It was fairly low key, this was not what you call a 'party tour group.' Our waiter named 'Clever' had a unique sytle and provided great service. There was no grand finale for our tour, sleep around 10.
    Read more