Satellite
  • Day 10

    A Day at Miyajima Island

    October 29, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Nat and I agreed that today was probably our favourite place in Japan so far. We spent the vast majority of it at Itsukushima, more commonly known as Miyajima Island about 45 minutes from Hiroshima.

    The day didnt start great, it was one of those mornings where you're late and everything seems to be going wrong. We'd heard that the closest typhoon had diverted away from us, but nonetheless the rain was relentless. We trudged through it on foot, train and ferry to get to Miyajima island.

    Miyajima Island is widely regarded as one of the most scenic spots in Japan, a sacred spot on the beautiful Seto Inland Sea. It is known for its forests and ancient temples. Just offshore, the giant, orange Grand Torii Gate is partially submerged at high tide. It marks the entrance to the Itsukushima Shrine, which was first built in the 12th-century. 

    The downpour and sticky humid weather conditions made our first couple hours here a bit uncomfortable. Fortunately however, as we finished exploring the Itsukushima Shrine (mostly indoors), the rain eased and clouds lightened. From this point on the day just continued to improve.

    After a curry tonkatsu lunch, our destination was up towards the summit of Mount Misen. First to Momijidani Park where a couple of ropeways would take us some of the way. This park itself was a pretty place with wild deer roaming freely about. The whole island is actually full of them, even about the town and market by the ferry terminal. They walk around with impunity, looking for anything they can eat (including train passes). They have no objection to being touched and zero fear of people. They are still very gentle.

    The cable car took two stops first a small car to Kayatani station and then a second larger one to Shishiiwa. We took this journey with our Swiss group companions Matthais and Sabrina. Whilst Shishiiwa station itself offered spectacular enough viewing, there was now a further steep 30-40 minute walk to the summit of Mount Misen, a World Cultural Heritage Site. On the way we also saw the Eternal flame temple, where Kobo Daishi (Kukai) conducted a 100 day Goma fire ceremony around the year 806AD. It is said the flame that burns there today is the same, having been protected for over 1200 years.

    The summit of Mt Misen offered spectacular panoramic views of Miyajima. Nat and I decided rather than return via cable car, to hike the entire way down from summit to pier via tge forest. It was a long, steep decent but we made it back a couple hours later just before dusk.

    By the time we'd returned to the hotel there wasnt even time to really change before dinner. My feet are wrecked with blisters so I've grabbed some boot insoles from a chemist.
    Dinnee was a mixed grill affair with the group. Tonorrow we're off to Kyoto!
    Read more