Satellite
  • Norwich; Urban Ramble, part 1

    July 14, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This urban ramble finds us in the beautiful medieval city of Norwich and is just over an hour from Cambridge. It is the first "big trip" since lock down!

    After checking in at The Maids Head Hotel - claimed to be the oldest hotel in the UK - we walked down the riverbank to the station to start the walk by going up the hill to pass through Rosary Cemetery which was the first non-denominational burial ground in the UK. It was interesting to walk around, before navigating through the ancient woodland of Lion Wood - a remnant of Thorpe Wood which was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Eventually we reached the old Brittania Barracks located on St James Hill, close to Mousehold Heath, with spectacular views of the city; the barracks were the former home of the Royal Norfolk Regiment, but now form part of HM Prisons Norwich.

    From here we proceeded down the hill to the city and the River Wensum, which passes through it. On the far bank is Cow Tower, built in the 14th century as part of the city's strategic defence systems. We had a short walk along the river before crossing the Bishop Bridge (1340) - one of the oldest bridges in England - before doubling back to Cow Tower. We walked along this bank passing the modern and attractive Jarrold Bridge before reaching Norwich Quayside, the heart of the city in medieval times.

    We crossed Fye Bridge and walked along Colegate, with its many historic buildings, before reaching St George's Church and crossing the bridge there.
    Read more