Satellite
  • Norwich; Urban Ramble, part 2

    July 14, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    After crossing St George's Bridge, we passed the Old Technical School to reach The Halls; comprising St Andrew's Hall and Blackfriars Hall (14th century), they make up the most complete friary complex in England. St Andrew's is the centre piece, as it is constructed in the local flint. This area is known as the Norwich Lanes and is full of interesting little shops.

    Next we arrived at the Marketplace - this has the beautiful 15th century Guildhall on one side and the art deco City Hall, guarded by sleek bronze lions, on another with the market - the largest open air market in the country - nestling in the middle. We walked along the Memorial Gardens to the Church of St Peter Mancroft, opposite the Guildhall, and then proceeded down to and through the splendid Royal Arcade, a beautiful and covered shopping street. This brings you out to Norwich Castle (now a museum and unfortunately closed for the time being) situated on its mound; it was founded by William the Conqueror and was originally a Motte-and-bailey castle.

    Leaving this lovely area we walked to Elm Hill, a historic and cobbled lane and the most complete medieval street in the city; it was derelict and decaying one hundred years ago, but fortunately the Norwich Society was able to change the plans to demolish it
    Read more