Satellite
  • Day 6

    Portsmouth - Seaside walk to Eastney

    September 16, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Our walk continues along the Milleniun Promenade to Clarence Pier and we note the three odd looking shapes out on the Solent. These are the Solent Forts, built in 1859 for military defence against potential invasion from the eastern side by the French. Also known as the Palmerston Folllies, they were never used for this purpose and are now planned as luxury hotel accommodation.

    At the edge of Southsea Common stands the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. We reach Southsea Castle, which is smaller than expected! It was built in 1544 by Henry VIII, also to prevent invasion by France (and the Holy Roman Empire) due to the annulment of his marriage from Catherine of Aragon. The Mary Rose was lost in front of it.

    We visit Southsea Pier and proceed further, also visiting the Rose Garden - the walls of which formerly contained Lumps Fort! We see the Sea Kale and other fauna growing in the shingle above the tidal limit.

    The Millenium Promenade finishes at Eastney, but we carry on and see the now permanently closed Royal Marines Museum from the road. The Fort Cumberland pentagonsl fort is also decommissioned. We reach our end point - the Southsea Marina and the bus stop for our return journey to the Gosport Ferry.
    Read more