Satellite
  • Day 71

    Dartford, part 2; historic town centre

    November 2, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The Romans paved over an ancient Celtic trackway as part of their main Dover to London road and crossed the River Darent by ford (hence the name Dartford).

    We start on the far side of the River Darent, a tributary of the Thames (see London LOOP post), having crossed the bridge here to view the Holy Trinity Church. We cross back over the bridge onto the High Street to see the other side of the church, which is close to the Wat Tyler pub. Wat Tyler is famous for having been a leader of the Kentish part of the 1381 Peasants Revolt, basically an uprising about workers rights. Close by, on One Bell Corner, is a large mural entitled 'One Town That Changed The World" celebrating "the pioneering industrial heritage of Dartford".

    The Royal Victoria and Bull Hotel is Dartford's oldest inn and pilgrims were able to stay here (as well as that originally on One Bell Corner) in medieval times on The Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury and beyond; the inn was rebuilt in 1703 with a gallery overlooking the yard and these both are still visible today (albeit covered now).

    A short walk away is Dartford Priory, England's only Dominican Convent. Founded in 1346, the Dissolution of the Monasteries led to Henry VIII replacing it with a Manor House, of which only the Gatehouse survives.
    Read more