Satellite
  • Ashdon and Bartlow Circular

    November 9, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    This walk starts in Ashdon in the district of Uttlesford, Essex; it is situated approx. 4 miles northeast of Saffron Walden and is very close to the Essex / Cambs border (Bartlow is in Cambridgeshire).  Our route takes us out of Ashdon via Newnham Hall Farm and doglegs left and right before we reach the bridleway, where there are good views of the surrounding area; this takes us to the small village of Bartlow, the southern border of which divides it from Essex.

    The path takes us through the churchyard of Bartlow St Mary's, one of only two existing round-tower churches in Cambridgeshire; it is also known for its 15th-century wall-paintings whose fragments include depictions of St Christopher, St Michael weighing souls, and St. George's Dragon.  Bartlow Hills, a Roman tumuli cemetery with four remaining mounds, is nearby and we visit these; the tallest is 15 metres tall, thankfully with a walkway to the top, and is the largest barrow north of the Alps.  

    We are back in Essex and the route takes us through Waltons Park and Steventon End; the Hall is is next to Ashdon Place and both are beautiful private residences.  There are good views back to these as we reach Ashdon Windmill (aka Bragg's Mill, William Bragg's Mill, Bartlow Hamlet Mill or Stevington End Mill); this is a grade II listed post mill, where the whole body of the mill that houses the machinery is mounted on a single vertical post, around which it can be turned to bring the sails into the wind - subsequently, the more familiar tower mill took its place.

    It is then back to Ashdon; it has been an interesting 7 mile walk and the weather was beautiful today.
    Read more