Satellite
  • Day 95

    Hangar 4; Battle of Britain

    November 12, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Hangar 4 is an original General Service Aircraft Shed - these are also known as Belfast Truss hangars because of their distinctive lattice Belfast Truss roofs - and now houses an exhibition that tells the story of the Second World War aerial campaign from the defeat of France through to the end of the Battle of Britian in late October 1940.  It also explores Duxford's history as an operational RAF airfield from the First World War to the Cold War.

    Britain's air defence during the Second World War is particularly emphasised; the Spitfire and Hurricane flown by "the few" are present, as well as a Messerschmitt Bf 109 which was flown during the Battle of Britain until forced down in Sussex due to engine failure - there are also anti-aircraft guns on display and both the Blitz and the V-1 flying bomb offensive are described.

    At the back of the hall, the Cold War period is represented by a Hawker Hunter which flew at Duxford with No. 65 Squadron RAF and by a Hungarian Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21, a common Warsaw Pact jet fighter, as well as several other aircraft.

    A fascinating visit; it was also interesting to see a party of school children being shown round by guides - I eavesdropped on one who was relating his childhood during a bombing raid at home in London and his subsequent evacuation to the Cambridge area!
    Read more