Satellite
  • Day 2

    A Whole Decade

    October 20, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Exactly ten years ago tonight, at Vineyard's in Ottawa's Byward Market, I met the wonderful woman who would knock me off my feet, turn my world around and steal my heart. I knew from the moment I saw her that I had to share my life with her. She wasn't so certain at the outset, but she eventually came around to my way of thinking. Four years later, October 20, 2010 (20/10/2010 so we will never forget the date), we were married.

    Since that memorable first encounter, we've traveled the world, run marathons together, bought, renovated and sold properties, moved eleven times, changed jobs and eventually retired. We've gone through health crises together and adopted a vegan lifestyle. So much has changed over 10 years, yet my love for her has grown exponentially.

    Every year we celebrate our anniversary in a new location and this year it's Hawaii. We've had some very forgettable meals in some pretty fancy restaurants and some fabulous ones in little Mom 'n Pop greasy spoons. This year, Brenda did some pre-trip research and booked us a table at Chef Chai. She had emailed the Chef and asked if he could modify his tasting menu to accommodate our vegan diet. He promptly responded saying it would be no problem and even sent her a proposed menu for her approval.

    Of course, even the best reviews can be misleading and end up leaving diners with a less that satisfactory gastronomic experience. We've had that happen to us too many times to count. But on this occasion, Chef Chai rose to and exceeded our expectations.

    The meal started with complimentery tofu satay served with Thai peanut sauce, pita bread and a shaved cucumber salad. That was followed by a mushroom and truffle risotto arancini in a tomato basil sauce. Then came an eggplant souffle (not quite vegan as there was some cheese in it) also served with the tomato basil sauce. Both appetizers were delicious and left us wanting more. The main course was a beautifully prepared vegetable terrine sitting in a spicy green curry sauce. As exquisite on the palette as it was on the eye. Dessert was a vanilla mousse wrapped around a raspberry sorbet covered in white chocolate and plated on a raspberry and guava coulis. As a bonus, they presented us with a Happy Anniversary fruit plate. Service was outstanding and, by Honolulu standards, reasonably priced. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this restaurant to anyone visiting Honolulu.

    Happily, Brenda's research and efforts made our 10th anniversary dinner one we will fondly remember for many year to come.

    Great job, Babe. My turn to find a winner next year.
    Read more