Satellite
  • Day 6

    Sunday Night Market

    December 4, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Chiang Mai has a really interesting night market on Sunday evenings which has expanded immensely since we were here two years ago. In 2014, the market was centered on Rachadamnoen Alley in the old city, with some small offshoots on a few cross streets. This year the offshoots are full fledged branches and even the streets running perpendicular to the main market are filled with vendors. Despite the expansion, as was the case two years ago, there are so many people walking around, one can barely move.

    All the hustle and bustle comes to a complete standstill at 6:00 PM each week when the PA system announces it is time to stand for the playing of the Thai national anthem. For the entire duration of the song, the only thing moving in the crowds are the lips of those singing along. And this year, because of the king's passing in October, we were treated to another pause in the mayhem. At just after 7:00, the PA blasted out another message, but this time only in Thai. The vendors began dimming the lights in their stalls and handing out candles to each other. Then, when all the staff was holding lit candles, they began handing them out to the customers, including me! A lengthy speech was broadcast over the PA system followed by a full minute of silence for their beloved king. Very touching.

    Once the candles were extinguished, it was back to business as usual. The food hawkers, the artisans and the musicians all picked up exactly where they left off and the throng once again perused all the offerings available.

    We stopped at our favorite spot for Pad Thai at one of the temples along the main drag. We were shocked to learn that the price had gone up from 25 baht two years ago to 35 baht this year! OK, 10 baht is only $0.35, but it's the principal of the matter. That's a 40% increase in 24 months. Shameful.

    Right near the end of our shopping time, Brenda stopped dead in her tracks and said, "Look at those papayas!" Now you have to realize that there are not a lot of people selling fruit at this market, unless it's sliced, diced and ready to eat. But lo and behold, a few feet ahead of me, there were a half dozen of the largest papayas I've ever seen in my life. We decided we had to have one....... no two!......to bring home with us, especially when we saw one was 25 baht ($0.89) and the other, 30 baht ($1.07). We'll probably have one for breakfast tomorrow morning and that's when we'll find out if they're any good.

    Happy days!
    Read more