Satellite
  • Panama City

    October 18, 2018 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Every time I write the name of this city I can't help but hear David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen in my mind: " Panama! Panama-a-a-a!" Ear worm.

    Our plane landed exactly on time at 1:45, and we retrieved our bags, got through customs and Ubered our way to our hotel by about 3:15.

    Both flights were pretty uneventful, except for a very tough three bounce landing in Mexico City. The flight to Mexico was just over five hours and the Panama leg was right around four hours. Unfortunately, these shortish flights, by the time food and drinks are served, don't allow much time for napping. As a result, Brenda and I managed only about three hours of fitful sleep between us.

    Needless to say we were both pretty much ready for bed by the time we checked in to our hotel. But brave soldiers that we are, we quickly unpacked and headed out the door to explore the neighborhood. Since our hotel has a full kitchen we went straight to a nearby supermercado, Rey, to pick up some fruit for breakfast, but in the end we decided to go to the local public market first thing tomorrow morning.

    After that you we went for a nice vegan dinner at Loving Hut restayeant and then stopped into a bakery and bought a pastry for dessert. It was called Mi Ojo (my eye) and was a local take on a mille feuille that had the sugary top layer replaced with dulce de leche. Sinful.

    So now it's just about 7:00pm and we're ready to hit the sack and turn out the lights. The public market opens at 4:00am tomorrow, so even if we wake up really early we'll just head out the door and go buy our breakfast. The early bird catches the worm free produce.

    Buenas noches amigos.
    Read more