Satellite
  • Day 14

    La Pitahaya Vegana

    December 26, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We were so happy when Boxing Day rolled around, not because we were hoping for any big sales (Boxing Day sales does not appear to be a Mexican tradition) but because all the restaurants were once again open.

    We had selected the hotel we're staying in because of its location in the "Roma Norte" neighbourhood which borders the "Condesa" neighbourhood. Condesa in particular is teeming with vegan restaurants and our biggest challenge will be deciding which ones to include and which ones to leave out in the 9 days we have remaining in Mexico City.

    For Boxing Day lunch, we went to "La Pitahaya Vegana", a completely vegan and gluten-free restaurant. Pitahaya is the Spanish word for dragon fruit, which may explain why all the tortillas they serve are pink like the fruit. Everything is made fresh at the restaurant, and the dishes are creative, colourful, and beautifully presented. We shared a trio of tacos, our favourite being the one stuffed with curried potatoes, but the show stopper of the meal was the Mole Mixteco, pink tortillas filled with tabascan bananas topped with rice and served on a bed of mole. Holy moly mole! The mix and mingling of all the flavours was just indescribably delicious.

    La Pitahaya Vegana is a little pricey by Mexican standards but given the quality and presentation of the food, it was worth it.
    Read more