Satellite
  • Day 16

    VEGuerrero

    December 28, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    After our walking tour of the historical centre, we were ready for lunch. However, the vegan options in the historical centre were limited and they didn't have great reviews. We decided therefore to walk the 1.7 kilometres to "VEGuerrero" which was on our eating hit list.

    VEGuerrero is not in a chi-chi neighbourhood, but rather a working class one. In fact, I think I saw a few working girls on a couple of street corners not far from the restaurant. That being said, the neighbourhood didn't feel threatening in any way, and the clientele at the restaurant was mainly locals including families with children.

    The tacos are the rave at VEGuerrero but on Saturdays they also offer a buffet for just 130 pesos ($9.25 CAD). Roch opted for the buffet but I wasn't hungry enough to do an all-you-can-eat buffet justice so I ordered a few tacos instead. The tacos really were delicious, my favourite being the soy chorizo one, all so nicely washed down with the Victoria amber beers we ordered.

    The buffet was quite impressive and included Birria, a soup usually made with pork, but t ou s version was just broth, sandwiches filled with spiced potatoes, deep fried quesadillas filled with falafel, a quinoa ceviche with avocado, a medley of veggie strips done in a vegan cream sauce, rice. beans, and the agua of the day.

    After several trips to the buffet table so he could sample everything, Roch declared "no más". We couldn't help but notice how the two women sitting at the table next to us outdid him by eating at least a serving of everything as well as ordering tacos, which we discovered were included in the buffet price. They were still eating when we left!

    It's a shame we're not in Mexico City for another Saturday because I would have liked to try the buffet, but there's always next time.
    Read more