Satellite
  • Day 32

    Day29/18 Caldas de Reis to A Escravitude

    June 1, 2022 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Our walk today started at 7:30 a.m. with a very humid temperature of 18 degrees under cloudy skies with some clear blue breaks. We managed to avoid any rain until the skies opened at 8:45. However, even before I could get on my rain poncho, the rain stopped.

    It rained on and off all morning, but by the time we stopped for our first break at the 12 kms mark, the skies had cleared and we were treated to some warm sunshine the rest of the way into A Escravitude.

    The walk today was much more interesting than yesterday's and it took us along some Roman roads, through a well preserved ancient village and through lots of forested areas. There were many barnyard animals along the way, a house clad with scallop shells, the symbol of the Camino, and several magnificent churches.

    We stopped for lunch in Padron and had to order a dish of Pimientos Padron in the town where they originated. As expected, they were the best we've had so far.

    Six kilometers later we arrived at our accomodations and after showering, enjoyed a bottle of Rioja in the living room while we waited for a restaurant to open for dinner at 7:00 pm.

    As it turned out, when we arrived at the restaurant, we were told dinner wasn't until 8:00 pm! But the waiter called in the chef (his wife) and we enjoyed an excellent meal at 7:00 while watching an old Lee Van Cleef Western that was dubbed into Spanish.

    Overall a great day on the Camino with only one more to go before we're done.

    It's going to be an extra early start tomorrow, so it's time for me to say buenas noche.
    Read more