Satellite
  • Day 51

    Aquino

    May 28, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌫 30 °C

    The last three days we have spent in the midst of wonderful Italian hospitality. We visited Maria and her family in Aquino. Maria is my grandparents friend who was originally from Guernsey before she moved to Italy with her husband. I have often heard my grandparents talk of Maria, her family and the nearby Monte Cassino so we could not miss the opportunity to pop by on our trip. We stayed with Maria in Aquino and met her three children and four grandchildren.

    Stuart finally experienced real Italian home cooking and safe to say that he adored it! As my mum put it he was in his element "good food and good company". Maria's daughters, Stella and Anna-Maria both hosted us for pranzo (long lunch with pasta as a mere starter...!) finished off with Italian coffee which Stuart is enjoying very much!

    After having lunch made for us by Maria and meeting her son Carlo on Friday, we headed to Stella's house for the largest pizzas I have ever seen with all the family. In the garden we saw fireflies which I got a little childishly excited about!

    On Saturday we had a traditional Napolitano soup, followed by Buffalo - which neither of us had tried before - home grown beans and home made salcicce washed down with home made wine at Anna Maria's. Late afternoon we headed to the Abbey of Monte Cassino which is a short drive away. Perched on top of the mountain this incredible place has been destroyed four times and rebuilt, most recently during terrible fighting in the second world war. We were not prepared for how impressive the Abbey is both inside and for the views. We then headed down the mountain to visit the Polish and then the Commonwealth cemeteries paying tribute to those who lost their lives trying to take back the Abbey and the surroundings from the Nazi stronghold in 1944.

    Today we went to Mass in the church in Aquino followed by a cafe in the Piazza where everyone congregates on a Sunday to meet and drink more coffee. We could definitely get used to the culture here. Another huge pranzo followed on the terrace at Stella's house with a view of Monte Cassino.. On the drive out this afternoon Stuart commented that he was very sad to leave. We were made to feel completely welcome and will definitely plan to return again to visit everyone and try to see all the places that we will sadly not have time to see this trip.

    We have now arrived in Pompeii to visit the "scavi" and Naples.. will write again in a few days.
    Read more