Satellite
  • Day 60

    Split

    June 6, 2017 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Stuart had been bitten by a mosquito on leaving Dubrovnik. It wasn't until we arrived in Kastel Luksic that we realised his foot was hugely swollen and he was struggling to walk. He could've done with rubbing the foot of your man Bishop Grgur Ninski instead of posing with him - it is said to bring you good luck - but we forgot about that.

    The bite was a few days ago and therefore I thought he could easily manage the 303 stairs to view Split from the Marjan Peninsula once we had seen it from the ground! He did but we didn't do too much walking around once we were up there as he was in quite a bit of discomfort. I am a very thoughtful wife!

    Split is an Old Town - like a mini Dubrovnik - with the modern town growing up around it. It was a half hour bus ride from where we are staying. I preferred it to Dubrovnik as whilst it had the same marble roads and stone buildings, it definitely has a more chilled out vibe. Our guide describes it as a 'hectic' place but maybe we were there on a quiet day but I didn't get that impression at all.

    Through the Bronze Gate of the Old Town you get to the port from where you can travel to the various Islands. Many people advised us to visit the Islands - in particular Havr - but on our budget it'll have to wait for another time.

    Whilst Stuart was nursing his elephant foot, I have been suffering from the heat.. arms are all bumpy 😳. This gave us a perfect excuse to head to the air conditioned cinema in one of the shopping malls. As you will know we love going to the cinema and this one did not disappoint. We already knew that Croatians watched films in English with Croatian subtitles, one of the many reasons they speak such good English! Relaxing in the big seats of a near empty cinema to watch Wonder Woman for about £3 each, can't complain!

    The day was topped off at Sexy Cow, a fast food place we had found on good ole Tripadvisor. Great filled wraps with lots of flavour and I just loved the name :)
    Read more