Satellite
  • Day 274

    Sydney

    January 6, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    The end of the big trip couldn’t have been in a better place.

    Heading up from the capital to our penultimate stop, we were superbly hosted by Uncle Jack and Cecilia in Gosford. From sightseeing to sailing the Brisbane Waters, puzzles to pelicans, we had such a wonderful time with our extended Oz family!

    And then, the final WOW experience of our trip, Sydney. When the ferry from Mosman Bay rounded the headland and we saw the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge in the distance without a cloud in the sky it was a breathtaking sight.

    Getting off the ferry at Circular Quay, we located the Tourist Information and the very friendly chap at the desk basically planned our day for us. Knowing the temperature - although already baking for us - was due to go through the roof the next day, we packed all of our city sight-seeing into that day. We first walked around the Royal Botanic Gardens from the Opera House to Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and continuing on to have lunch at one of the outdoor pools on the harbours edge.

    Getting far too hot we headed inside. First the Art Gallery of New South Wales, then to St Mary’s Cathedral where we saw a wedding ceremony taking place and finally onto Westfield Sydney for a little jaunt around the shops.. well it would have been rude not to!

    With the temperature cooling, we took a ferry across the harbour to Luna Park. Timed to perfection we were sat on the big wheel as the sun set over the Harbour behind us.

    The next day the temperature hit a massive 47 degrees. Arriving at our final accommodation, a five star hotel on the wharf, we made the most of the pool and the free happy hour, venturing out of the hotel only to sample the famous “Harry’s” pie van which has served the likes of Elton John, Pamela Anderson and countless other celebs.
    
Before we left Sydney we couldn’t avoid a trip to Bondi Beach. An incredibly hot and sweaty walk/bus ride later, we arrived at the world famous beach and dipped our toes in. Having seen the reports that a Great White Shark had been sighted there the day before, we had decided to leave our swimmers at the hotel.

    Our last evening we spent walking back to Mrs Macquaries chair to drink in that amazing view one last time….

    Would definitely like to see more of Sydney, though maybe next time it’ll be in winter!

    And that as they say is all folks. Thanks for reading, following and commenting, it has been a pleasure to share the journey with you all.
    Read more