Satellite
  • Day 19

    Tlemcen is not Terneuzen.

    February 12, 2020 in Algeria ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    For sure they have no locks, nor a canal or even a river with mighty ships on it.
    But it has stolen my heart by being a rough gem in a unpolished crown. Our host and her family made us feel part of their lives. And made being in Tlemcen as being at home.
    Today we started nice and slow. Nika got couscous cooking lessons, and i witnessed the warmth of a caring mother again.
    After our lunch, we went for a small walk in the neighbourhood and found a stray puppy. What a cutie to take home..
    As Fatima returned from college, we went to see the El Mechouar Palace.
    You could say, Alhambra in small.
    It was so good to be there and just enjoy it all in silence and tranquillity. No one to be seen. Just us. Not good for revenue but...
    We also got a guided tour in the traditionel wedding dress exhibition.
    Now it was time to hop in a taxi again to go and see the historic Mansourah Mosque.
    Also a place were you feel to be the explorar instead of the exploited.
    Taxi hopping is a common thing so...here we go! Time for tea. And for me something sweet..;)
    Tea. Sunset, call for prayer and a good conversation. A gift.
    Darkness calls us home. Were we took a shower and got a last festive dinner.
    This family is so caring it is almost impossible to describe.
    As guests, we received a farewell gift. And all i could do was shed a tear, and give them our gift, a bag of "stroopwafels" the only Dutch thing, we could think of as we took of on this journey.
    Now. Our last night sleep, tomorrow step one into the direction of the Sahara.
    Maybe the main reason of this trip. And we only will stay there for a few days.
    But first things first.
    Tomorrow we are travellers again.
    Read more