Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Tassie tour: Day 8

    March 25, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Tullah to Queenstown via Strahan - 148km

    The sun came back today! It was nice to see some blue sky and be able to wear less than 10 pieces of clothing. We started our day on Roseberry lake, a man made lake, in the town of Tullah. Tullah is a small mining town as most of the little towns on the West Coast are. Tasmania west coast has been mined for silver, gold, copper and others since the 1900s. Some mining still continues as we see on the road.
    Our little walk of the day went through an old tunnel created to transport ore and other mining materials off the mountain.
    We stopped for lunch in the coastal town of Strahan, no mining here but at the time it was a big port to send all the precious material to Burnie, in North Tassie and then out to the world.

    We're sleeping tonight in Queenstown and again we can see a lot of their mining history all over the town. Our accommodation is next to the main bar in town with a bottle shop and gambling adjacent to it. It is our last night on the road in Tassie and we will be reaching Hobart, the biggest town tomorrow!
    Read more