Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Tassie Tour: Day 9

    March 26, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Queenstown to Hobart - 313km

    Today is the last driving day of our little road trip and one of the longest. We set out from Queenstown around 8am with the morning clouds still sitting in the hills. As we peeked over the ridge line we passed through the clouds and got a great view of the town below covered by its white cloudy blanket.

    Our first stop was an old mining blow hole which had been filled with water, which, because of the high copper content, is now an amazing blue colour. Or so we're told, we set off so early that the sun had not breached the edges of the hole so all the water was in the shade. We did get some more great views of the clouds on the other side of the ridge line though.

    One more waterfall before stopping in the tiny town of Derwent Bridge for some breakfast/brunch. Aptly named the Hungry Wombat, it was today that we saw our first live Wombat in the wild, very exciting.

    Onwards to Mount Fields National Park. An hour outside Hobart, it is very popular on the weekends as it has some great low altitude short walks and some alpine walks up to the summit, there is even some skiing to be had in the deepest winter. We had very pleasant walk amongst very tall trees and ferns.

    Finally back in the car for the last leg into Hobart, the biggest city in Tassie, strange to be back in the concrete jungle after 10 days in the wilderness (save for Launceston) but nice to have more than one restaurant to choose from for dinner, we even had wine, quite the treat.
    Read more