Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 116

    Agnes Water and Tannum

    April 11, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Agnes Water is considered to be one of the last surfing beaches as you drive north up the coast. We assume this is because the Great Barrier Reef protects the North Eastern beaches from the larger waves but we should probably confirm that, but it does sound like a good theory. Agnes Water is a small town which is pretty famous for 2 things, Surfing and Captain James Cook. There was a lot of surfers in the water and the waves were pretty fun but the links to Captain Cook are a bit over rated. The town of Seventeen Seventy (adjacent to Agnes Water) was the first Captain Cook landed in Queensland. Considering he spent a month down the coast in what is now Sydney and the state of Queensland didn't even exist in 1770 it seemed a bit much to have everything named after him.

    After a day at the beach and a very pleasant night in Captain Cook Campsite (great name) we moved a bit further north to the town of Tannum with a stop at Gladstone enroute. Gladstone is a working class town built around the port which was taken over by the Gladstone Port Corporation some years ago. A government owned corporation they spend a lot on the local community and Gladstone has a really well designed and built shore front which really made the town feel a lot nicer than we were expecting for a small port town on the coast.

    Tannum is again a very small sea side town, really felt like a holiday destination for locals with a very friendly family feel. So when in Rome, we bought a couple tinnies and enjoyed a beer on the beach while admiring the colours of the sinking sun. A very chilled few days. As we are on the eastern coast the sun doesn't set on the sea, but it still gives amazing colours in the sky! Always a bit difficult to get them on camera but we hope you'll have an idea!
    Read more