Satellite
  • Day 169

    Sin City

    June 3, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    The only place in the world where you can see the Statue of Liberty, the Canals of Venice and the Eiffel tower all in one day without ever needing to step outside. We made it to Vegas! We headed back down (didn't realise the Grand Canyon was at 2100m) and out out of the grand Canyon National park, back across the desert and into Nevada to the entertainment mecca.

    On the way we stopped off at the Hoover dam, a real construction marvel, that not only shaped how large-scale dams would be built, invented new techniques and technologies to make it happen and helped to shape the physical landscape of the surrounding area, allowing California to have the energy and water it needed to expand. Built in a true art deco style it is pretty cool to stand on top and look out at a Lake Mead, even if the water level is looking pretty low these days.

    James still had a bit of the sniffles so we didn't really party hard in Vegas but he is testing negative now so we were able to go and see some of the amazing shows they have. We started with Blue Man Group on the Wednesday. It is a comical percussionist group. Yes, strange combo but fun to see! The next day we went to see O by Cirque du Soleil. They have 5 shows in Las Vegas so it was really hard to choose which one we wanted to see but we both think we made the right choice! It was incredible. The stage could sometimes be just a stage where people run and flip and it transformed into a swimming pool, deep enough for performers to dive from 10m (we think)! We really enjoyed this 1h30 of artistic performance!
    Read more