Satellite
  • Day 174

    Yellowstone - The Grand Loop

    June 8, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Our second day in the park and we headed north to check out the Norris Geyser basin, a smaller but more compact area with some large Geysers nestled into a moonscape scenery. Again with the vibrant Blues,Greens and Oranges it really does look like an otherworldly place. We weren't as lucky today and didn't see any major eruptions, although we did see the Steamboat Geyser letting off some steam, people were optimistic that it was about to blow, but given it only goes off roughly every 2 weeks we didn't fancy waiting around. Waiting for geysers to erupt is a sport here, people come with their chairs, food and warm clothes to be there when it erupts!

    We saw some more wildlife today! How do we spot them? Usually when there is a traffic jam on the road... Yellowstone is so big that you need to drive to the different sites otherwise you would be there for weeks to see everything. In the traffic jam our little game is to check the different number plates and see where people have come from. We think we've pretty much seen all the different states! The furthest being maybe Florida or Alaska. We also saw a couple Canadian plates as we are actually not that far from the border! Coming back to the wildlife...when traffic slows down usually means cars are stopped along the road to see an animal. When it is a bison we get angry because there are about a million bison in the park...but today we saw a bear, an elk and a moose! That was cool! Of course we can't get too close to them but even seeing from far is great.

    We drove back down through the Yellowstone Canyon, not quite as deep as the Grand Canyon but with views of the stunning falls at the top it is still just as impressive.

    After a pit stop for lunch on the Lake we made it to the Artists Paint Pots and Prismatic Hot Springs, a collection of springs and pools, again with the luxurious colours that make this place so alluring.
    Read more