Satellite
  • Day 176

    Grand Teton

    June 10, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We headed south out of Yellowstone to its neighbouring National Park Grand Teton. The mountain of the same name is the highest peak in the Teton range standing at 4199m rising above pristine lakes and Sage Brush plains. Formed between six and nine million years ago by the moving Teton fault, the western edge was pushed up to form the Teton Range mountains while the eastern edge was pushed down to form the Jackson Hole Valley and lake. It is very unusual to see a mountain range which seems to grow straight up out of the lakes and makes them look even more magnificent.

    We took a walk around Jenny lake through the Pine forests and into the foothills of the mountain range, up to the Hidden Falls and a lakeside viewpoint called Inspiration Point. Not sure how inspired we felt but it was very blissful and calming sitting below the mountains looking out over the valley.

    We also managed to make a stop at the most photographed Barn in America, according to the Park Rangers, an old abandoned Mormon Barn with a view. More Bison and Antelope roam the flats and bears and Moose can be found down by the River, although we didn't see any today.

    We have thoroughly enjoyed our time in the National Parks of Wyoming a vast and diverse place of incredible wildlife and geological wonders.
    Read more